LIKE talkingNYsports on Facebook

Click on the link to LIKE our new page @ http://www.facebook.com/TalkingNYsports

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Arod and The Test


Do fans care about the 104 who failed their tests in 2003?

I know I don’t. I assume players have always done whatever they could to get what they perceived to be an edge, whether it involved putting bubble gum on top of their hats (as Phil Rizzuto did) or sleeping with their bats (as some have been reputed to do).

Anyhow, let us know who the non-ARod test failures are. Maybe then we will be able to put the whole steroid era into perspective. If our other “stars” are indeed on the list (which was never supposed to be public at all), we will be able to ignore steroids and just consider the results of the games and the overall achievements of the players. I certainly suspect everybody.

If “everybody is doing it”, how does one resist the urge to be the best player he can be? Is there even evidence that a hitter is somehow better (or a pitcher) for taking substances?

I am more prepared to believe in the efficacy of greenies, which are now banned after generations of use, than of steroids.

Still, why are our journalists and our national government —unlike our fans—so much more pre-occupied by baseball players taking substances than with the disaster overtaking our economy?

Enough is enough. Let’s just focus on baseball—or is that asking too much of our professional journalists?

No comments:

Post a Comment