LIKE talkingNYsports on Facebook

Click on the link to LIKE our new page @ http://www.facebook.com/TalkingNYsports

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Major League Ratings Disaster!

Major League Baseball's playoff ratings are going as the stock market has been going - DOWN. Why? Because the Cubs are no longer in the playoffs and because 3 of the 4 divisional series could easily end in sweeps as of tomorrow. I will get to the Cubs momentarily, but regarding the other series...

The Red Sox have Beckett going tomorrow night and I'd take him over almost anyone even when injured. The guy dominates the post season and is facing a young pitcher who is making his first playoff start in Joe Saunders.

Moving on, the Phillies are starting Joe Blanton tomorrow who has not been stellar, but has not lost since transferring to the NL. Already up 2-1, the Phillies may take the series tomorrow as well.

Finally, the Rays have Matt Garza going who is very young (but that hasn't stopped them from winning the first 2 of the series down in Tampa) against John Danks who has had a very up and down September (3 excellent start, 1 okay start and 2 awful starts). I expect the White Sox to win this one with the 10th man helping out in the stands.

Back to the Cubs, it is hard to pick one culprit in this series. Soriano never hits in the post season (even when he hit that huge homer against Byung Hyun Kim (Correction: Curt Schilling) in the 2001 World Series, he had a poor series other than the long ball. I distinctly recall getting agrivated as he continuously swung at slider after slider out of the strike zone. Now he is another town's problem.

The starting pitching was also at fault. Dempster gave up too many walks, Zambrano was, well... himself (Mr. Inconsistent) and Harden is likely injured (no surprise there) as he has not been the same since prior to his start against the Mets. His velocity is down and his location is not up to his lofty standards.

Bottom line, the Cubs were tight as a wrestler's spandex (odd imagery) and could not hit a lick with runners on base.

Note: I was clearly wrong about the Angels. I am actually surprised they have lost both games. I thought they had turned the corner against the Red Sox this year (they dominated Boston during the regular season) and I expected them to take at least one of the first 2 (especially with Beckett pitching in game 3). They are not eliminated yet, but they have 1 foot out the playoff door!

Yaros

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully teams in the future will play until the last game. I understand the need to rest regulars, but Lou overdid it.

    Soriano's homer was off Schilling, not Kim. Brenly wasn't gunna have Kim anywhere near that Game 7. Also Soriano won an ALCS game that year with a homer off I believe Arthur Rhodes.

    I think the Brewers have a good chance. Theyre great at home, and if they win they'll have CC on full rest. I think CC would have a bounce back game. Lousy job by the TV broadcasters in that game tonite, referring to how Geoff Jenkin had to watch homegrown talent like Jeromy Burnitz, Carlos Lee and Richie Sexson get traded away. Burnitz came up with the Mets, was traded to Cleveland, and then to the Brewers. Lee spent 5 of 6 years in Chicago before spending about 4 months in Milwaukee, and Sexson came up with Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the announcers, that is what happens when random announcers do games that star teams they know nothing about. The Sunday Night Baseball guys have that issue on a weekly basis!

    Yaros

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to like Jon Miller but he has become unlistenable. Especially on the radio whenmost of the times you know what happens based on the noise of the crowd, as he is sooo delayed in his commentary.

    ReplyDelete