LIKE talkingNYsports on Facebook

Click on the link to LIKE our new page @ http://www.facebook.com/TalkingNYsports

Friday, October 31, 2008

A Team Of The Future With No Present!

Imagine you rooted for a team that according to Coach Jeff Van Gundy has 1 player who could start on a good basketball team. (By the way, I dispute that claim because I believe they have 2.)

Imagine you root for a team in a city, for that matter a state, that your owner couldn't care less about!

Imagine you root for a team in an arena which is overshadowed by an indoor, ridiculous looking, skiing facility.

Imagine you root for a team that gets so few fans that I could not give away tickets to opening night last year when they actually had 3 players (even according to Van Gundy) who would start on a playoff team!

That is my New Jersey Nets!

But, they have a future. Their future lies in the hands of 2 people. Rod Thorn, the brilliant President, and Shawn Carter, better known as Jay-Z, who knows LeBron James personally and would like to see him in a Brooklyn Nets uniform in a few years.

Rod Thorn has a keen eye for talent and has a knack for getting rid of a guy on the way down (Kidd) for a guy on the way up (Devin Harris - the guy other than Vince Carter I believe would start on a good team). He also recognized that Jefferson and Carter would not get them anywhere and one needed to be traded - well at least 1. Since Jefferson was more tradeable as he is younger, the Nets got some more young talent for the star. Yi may turn out to be an excellent player and he is very young.

The draft was also very successful as a potentially very good center was brought in from out west named Brook Lopez. He has tremendous upside with a strong offensive game and a big body.

The LeBron story is for another time.

The Nets will barely have a better record than the Knicks and may squeak out the 8 seed and get romped by Boston in the first round. Either way, no more than 40 wins (and that is a stretch) will be won this year by the Nets, but they are in rebuilding mode and have the right management in place to work things out!

This is the kind of team that is easy to root for! There are no morons in the front office - the Knicks, as long as they have an owner who doesn't care at all about winning don't have that trait.

To the Knicks, happy losing!

Yaros

3 comments:

  1. It is easy to root for because all the fans only came there in 2002 when the nets became good and the knicks were bad. By the 2002 NBA finals everyone except for the few loyal knick fans (Im a loyal knicks fan) were rooting for the knicks. I asked htem werent u rooting forthe knicks last year, and they flately denied it evne thouh they were knick fans the year befoore. That is the population that makes up net fans...FRONTRUNNERS... they probably ahve now moved on to the celtics.

    The nets arent making the playoffs, they might even get a high lottery pick.

    How are the players easy to root for? The star for the past 7 years beated his wife before he got
    traded. VC faked injuries so he could leave toronto, hes not loyal.

    I am happy the team is going through the arena problems, they might not even get the arena in brroklyn. this is knicks territory and the nets and their bandwagon fans can go play in vegas for all i care

    ReplyDelete
  2. you clearly have knicks anger management issues as you are frustrated with your own team. I personally think that the make up of a team is primarily associated with the attitude of ownership. Some of us are real Net fans while other may be front runners.

    BTW, I would be plenty happy with the Nets getting another high draft pick. It is worth a losing season, but I just think they won't be THAT bad.

    Yaros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is tehre a Durant or a Derrick rose in the draft? I guess its way too early to know.
    THe ironic thing is I dont wanna see the Nets move to brooklyn (its still not 100% finalized from what i've heard) but at the same time,if they DONT move, theres zero chance of landing lebron.
    both SI and ESPN Mag ranked nets 15 of 15 in the East. I dont think they'll be nearly that bad. VC can still carry them at times, and the youngguys - lopez, Yi, Harris and even douglas roberts I think will have their momenhts. I'll say 37 wins

    ReplyDelete