LIKE talkingNYsports on Facebook

Click on the link to LIKE our new page @ http://www.facebook.com/TalkingNYsports

Monday, October 27, 2008

Should The League Be To Blame For This Debacle?

Why is it that the Commissioner's Office of Major League Baseball always look bad? I can not remember the last time the league looked good. It is not Bud's fault that the rain came, but although I enjoy chaos, it makes Selig look uneasy and when the ESPN Sports Center anchor described the scene as circus baseball.

I was really intrigued as to what would happen if the Phillies were winning at the time of the delay. Selig did say that he would have never have allowed the game to end in the 6th inning.

Who does this rain delay help?
Well, I think the Phillies clearly had momentum in the series and also had Cole Hamels on the mound, that combination was going to be tough to beat. This fluke occurrence may change the momentum; therefore, I think the Rays benefit. Also, the Rays relievers are a bit exhausted having pitched a lot more in the last couple of games than the Phillie relievers. This is another advantage the Rays have due to the break in the action.

One thing both teams need to remember, the game is in the bottom of the sixth so it could be over quickly. Both teams need to remember not to waste any outs and can't (this one is more for the Rays) make any defensive mistakes!

Yaros

5 comments:

  1. Great point about the rain delay. wouldn't the general rule have applied if the Pillies were winning at the rain delay, sao that the Phillies would've won. Does the Commish have the discretion to chnage that? Is there an understanding that all WS games need to be 9 innings or more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. stinks even more now that they postponed the game again

    ReplyDelete
  3. I asked 2 phillies fans how they would have felt about being handed the WS if the game was rained out with the score 2-1. One would ahve been happy, the other wouldnt want to win the WS that way. I know i woulndt want to win the world series like that. I woulndt want to even win Game 1 of the WS like that. Selig did nothing wrong. MLB had no choice. That said - the thought of playing well into November....no reason for that!
    THe extra day off today helps Philly. Now Hamels - who wasn't overworked yesterday - could pitch a potential game 7 on 3 days rest. TB would still have Shields and Garza. ANd Kazmir doesnt really become available out of the pen - we've seen how bad his first innings have been.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that today's rain out does help the Phillies. I did not think yesterday's momentum killer did.

    Yaros

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rays might go with price tommorow night. If i were them i would do that since he could go a few innings

    ReplyDelete