LIKE talkingNYsports on Facebook

Click on the link to LIKE our new page @ http://www.facebook.com/TalkingNYsports

Monday, December 29, 2008

Addressing Favre

I've been through the problems on defense already, and to sum up: the Jets have not had a big-play defense since the freaking sack exchange with Klecko and Gastineau twenty years ago. The defensive drafting has been atrocious and it has to change this year. I'm sick of a defense that is at best bend-don't break and at worst a cheap turnstile.
But now to the good stuff: the offense. This post will be devoted to our pro-bowl quarterback, Brett Favre. Holy crap do I hate this guy. There is no other way to say it: Brett Favre sabotaged the Jets' season. Somewhere in the second half of the year he put on a ski-mask, borrowed a gun or six from Plax, and robbed us of the season.
His play went beyond the merely absurdly awful and entered the realm of the profoundly incomprehensible. He was so bad I think he made Richard Todd and Browning Nagle cringe. The interceptions against the Dolphins were all utterly indefensible. Favre merely proved that he is no longer capable of making sound decisions with the football. All three picks were of the "what the #@^%?! variety. The attempted deep ball to Washington, the botched screen play, and then the truly critical quick-pick were not just ghastly thrown balls, but the results of s--t brained decision-making. And aside from the interceptions, he was inaccurate all day, throwing behind or short and missing wide-open receivers.
He led the league with 22 INTs, and he engineered a total meltdown. His offense scored 13 on the Raiders, 14 on the Niners, 3 on the Seahawks, and 17 on the Dolphins. His 56-yard TD to Cotchery in the 1st quarter of the first game was the longest pass of the season. Favre was anemic throwing the deep ball.
It is beyond me how the Jets could possibly be interested in having Favre come back for another season. Hey, Woody: people won't buy seats in the new stadium for Favre, they will buy them for a solid, exciting team. I hope the Jets don't set themselves back another year by bringing Favre back.
While I'm in full rant mode, let me take a moment to abuse Favre. This guy is one of the most overrated players in NFL history. He has done absolutely nothing for 10 years. He has more epic choke-games than possibly any QB in history. In his last 10 playoff games, he has thrown 18 picks. The 1999 divisional against St. Louis (6 INTs, 3 returned for TDs), the 2004 Divisional Game against Philly (blindly lobbing an overtime INT that led to the winning FG), and last years's NFC championship against the Giants (bonehead OT pick) are classic Favre choke-jobs. I admit that Favre was borderline spectacular in his first 6 years in the league. However, he has faded in a way that most truly great QBs don't. He has averaged over 20 INTs over the last 11 seasons. He has never thrown less than 13 picks in a season. He threw 29 picks in one season ('05), and he has never been super-accurate (career comp% under 62, 3 times under 60).
I'm just so sick of Favre. Just end the torture already and retire. Please.

5 comments:

  1. Why do Jet fans hate the guy who they kept on calling "Broadway Brett" until the choke?

    Some of the comments people told me when the trade was made, was all the records favre set with the packers are now records with the jets, ( yes some jet fan actually said that)

    Now no Jet fan who was convinced they had the SB won with "Broadway Brett" now hates him?

    I loved the guy he might have been classless to the packers but I love this guy, I wonder why I love Favre and all the Jet fans all the sudden hate him?

    O, I got it! Maybe its because Favre brought my team a superbowl victory, winning 3 MVPs in 3 consecutive years almost adding a 4th one last year, and that he set NFL records with my team. He actually did in a 3 year period more than the entire Jet franchise ever. Maybe thats why I like Favre.

    Well... I guess you wont see any Jet fans calling Favre Broadway Brett anytime soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. well played off the derech. my how the man who came to save the jets has been turned on. (not defending his play, he sucked. just ironic how fickle yaros and his ilk can be.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasnt aiming anything at Yaros, I think he has gotten smarter about the Jets as the season ended, and he didnt say stupid comments as crazy as other Jet fans.

    However, no Jet fans is immune from the fact that thought Broadway Brett would take them far

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually never wanted the Jets to get Favre. I felt that he was an overrated prima donna and that based on what Favre hadn't done in the last decade, I thought he would be incapable of getting the Jets to the super bowl. I was in favor of giving Clemens or Ratliff a try to become the Jets longtime qb instead of sacrificing one or two years to worship at Favre's altar. The problem with many Jets fans is that years and years of losing have made them irrational idiots. I don't know how anyone who had watched Favre play in the last five years would believe him capable of a super bowl, and how anyone who witnessed his complete trashing of the Packers could actually want him to come to the Jets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to address some of the ridicules falacies that were ranted on in this post. Noah, you claim that Brett Favre has "done nothing in the past ten years." Well that is a quite a thing to say especially since you do not back it up with any substantial statisistics. While it is true that Favre has struggled mightily and had bad years including this year, to say he has done nothing in the past ten years is stupid. During that span he has had three different seasons of over thirty touchdowns and four seasons of over a ninety qb rating. Oh and check the numbers from last year, they were pretty good to. And your claim about his completion percentage-it is higher than both John Elway's and Dan Marino's-tow players who are widely regarded as tops of all time. Also in the past ten seasons Favres team has finished under 500 one time. While Favre does receive special treatment from many sportscasters,and has had his rough spots, to say he has done nothing in the past ten years is ridicules.

    ReplyDelete