LIKE talkingNYsports on Facebook

Click on the link to LIKE our new page @ http://www.facebook.com/TalkingNYsports

Monday, December 1, 2008

Yankees Hot Stove Update!

Jon Heyman is reporting that the Yankees don't want to give Bobby Abreu or Andy Pettitte arbitration lest they accept it. Then the Yankees will be forced to potentially pay them upwards of $18 million for next season.

I fully agree with the Yankees position regarding Pettitte. Here is why - he is not worth the 18 million and due to the fact that Pettitte is no longer a remotely good pitcher, why would anyone else want to sign him for close to that much money. I would give him less for 2 years, let alone 1.

There is one piece of information I must divulge prior to making my argument regarding Abreu: The only downside to not offering a Type A free agent (Pettitte and Abreu are both 'A's) is that if a team offers an 'A' arbitration and instead he signs with another team, the former team gets a first round pick from the new team.

Abreu is likely to find a long term deal (probably from the Cubs); therefore, he will almost definitely not accept arbitration. Therefore, the Yankees just lost a first round pick with very little risk. Abreu is still young enough for at least a 3 year deal and the Cubs would be willing to give up their late first round pick as part of the deal.

The Yankees lost tons of first rounders in the early part of this decade signing players who never one them a single championship. Now it is time to get some more first round picks to build up the minor league system and the Yankees blew an opportunity.

Finally, I really hope the Yankees do not sign Pettitte, it would be an utter waste of money. At his advanced age, the cutter lacks cut, the fastball lacks zip and the curveball lacks bite. It is time to find a new lefty (how about the hefty lefty who most recently pitched for Milwaukee?)


I KNOW I POST IT ALOT, BUT I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF - I JUST LOVE THIS PICTURE!

Yaros

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, I have no idea why the Yanks didn't offer arbitration to Abreu.

    ReplyDelete