Mike Francesa has asked the Yankees to limit their spending and not add a big name pitcher (like Roy Halladay) at the break. He said that it would take away from winning because it eliminates any level of competitive fairness.
Mike, I think we are already at that point. The MLBPA will in all likelihood never agree to such a salary cap and it ruins the competitiveness.
I personally think it would be ridiculous for Toronto to make any trade with the Yankees or Red Sox because it is so counter to their goal of beating those teams head-to-head.
It would be a real shame for the Yankees to just continue to pull in talent by taking on enormous contracts.
I will never talk about baseball switching to the hard salary cap system because it is a waste of time - as sad as that may be.
It is up to the Yankees to police themselves? I would hope they would do so, because getting Roy Halladay by giving up prospects and more importantly, taking on the contract of Vernon Wells would ruin the season - regardless of the outcome of the playoffs. Signing C.C., A.J. and Teixeira is more than enough acquisitions for the year.
Yaros
NYY has never suffered a backlash on its extraordinay spending. it's not something the fans focus on -- $$ of salary per win. In fact the spending has apid off in increased ad revenue and greater team value. the NYY have no inventive to stop spending. they want to win at any costwhat does "support our supports" mean
ReplyDelete