Those words are pretty harsh but it does seem that something "funky" is going down in Queens. Yesterday, Jon Heyman wrote an article for SI indicating that the Mets specifically turned down a trade offer proposed by the Blue Jays.
At 1:05, Mike Francesa said specifically on the air that he personally called the Mets and they said no such trade was offered.
Someone is lying and I have little faith in anything that comes out of Minaya's mouth considering his past history (the Willie lie. Reminder: in the middle of the night Minaya fired Randolph after telling everyone - including Willie, to his face - that Willie's job was safe).
The Mets are trying to protect themselves from getting killed for not making the trade for Halladay. I would have done it. Francesa says the same thing; however, Heyman says that many GMs love prospects and just refuse to part with maybes that can make little money for 6 years (3 at <$1,000,000 and 3 at arbitration levels) for a sure thing making big bucks.
The Mets got a steal when they traded for Santana and there is no sure thing in the group that supposedly was going to Toronto. None of those players are as good a prospect as Scott Kazmir and Halladay is about 100 times better than Victor Zambrano.
If a prospect for big time trade works out for the team getting prospects, they have won the lottery (ex. Bartolo Colon for Brandon Phillips, Sizemore and Cliff Lee), but the likelihood is very low. The Mets have talent on next year's roster, if Santana and Halladay lead the rotation (in that ballpark) every Met fan would be drooling!
Yaros
it would be foolish for Minaya to speak openly about potential trades where the transaction may still be under negotiation. whether there's an offer or not is often in the eye of the beholder.
ReplyDeletewhat do u mean by support my support?
I can't believe such a trade was ever on the table. If it was, either Minaya is senile or Madoff is really bringing this team down.
ReplyDeleteJon Heyman is never wrong about trades agentsmith. I have little doubt Minaya was lying
ReplyDeleteDo you people have a facebook fan page? I looked for one on twitter but could not discover one, I would really like to become a fan!
ReplyDelete