LIKE talkingNYsports on Facebook

Click on the link to LIKE our new page @ http://www.facebook.com/TalkingNYsports

Friday, July 24, 2009

Good Night Moon...

As the Yankees played baseball on the west coast schedule (starting the game at about 10:00 (and I don't have kids yet so I don't have to know where they are), the game started out really flat because the A's young, Jersey born, pitcher, Vin Mazzaro was absolutely dealing. Through three innings, he had pitched to 10 batters. He gave up 1 hit to Cano (who was promptly thrown out by a mile at second trying to stretch the hit - I think he thought it was going to be foul and didn't run). Mazzaro had struck out 6 of the 10 batters and I was going to shut the game off in the disgust.

But then, Mazzaro faced 14 more batters, 3 walks, 7 hits and 4 outs. Ouch!

This was a classic case of second time through the lineup. The kid is only 22, but the A's should watch his confidence level because he has a terrible record with a not so bad ERA, just watch out there Mr. Beane.

Other thoughts on the game:
-Robbie Cano has a cannon for a second baseman and has been much better on defense this year. I think his range up the middle is better than his range in the hole. With Teixeira swallowing up a lot of the balls in the hole, Cano has been able to shade up the middle a bit and continuously make those nifty submarine throws to first base.

-Teixeira hit an absolute bomb in the 4th inning on a 3-0 pitch. It completely shell-shocked Mazzaro.

-i think A-rod has a tendency to get very aggravated from a bad balls-strikes call and essentially thinks about it for the rest of the at-bat. He had a really bad day at the plate.

-Eric Hinske has been a nice addition, but his arm in right field is awful. What is with those lollipops? However, if anyone saw the throw by Jerry Hairston from CF to the plate early in the game, it was the worst throw from a guy other than Johnny Damon I have ever seen in my life.

Yaros

2 comments:

  1. In regard to Hinske, things are pretty crowed in the OF, and long term I'm not convinced that all 5 will remain sharp. 4 is likely a better #.

    what do u mean by support our supports?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With regards to a-rod, i think he just tends to strike out a-lot like many power-hitters. On an off night he might strike-out 2-3 times.

    ReplyDelete