The American League is no longer interesting to an NY sports fan as the Yankees have faded into oblivion.
Looking forward to squeezing some French's Mustard along with some ketchup and relish onto my hot dog while watching a Yankee game in April.
Here are some interesting notes that I think about next year...
-Liriano will win 20 games and the CYA. Ever since he has come back from the injury to his elbow he has pitched amazingly well.
-The Rays will again be a playoff contender and will likely sign a big player during the off-season and have a full year of Evan Longoria.
-The Angels will sign another mega contract, but I don't think it will be with Mark Teixeira. And, the Angels will resign K-Rod.
-The Mets will easily win the NL East with the best rotation in the NL (the best pitcher in Johan and amazing depth - even without Perez), but will struggle with the bullpen.
More to come. Care to comment???
Yaros
my predictions:
ReplyDelete1. rays do a "marlin"
2. santana goes on DL in June
3. Lincecum wins 23 and CY
4. yanks come back and get in ALCS through WC
5. Boston wins division
6. Mets come in 3d, philly wins division, cards get wc
Interesting topic. Although as a Mets fan who suffered for YEARS of Yankees dominating and dealing with Yankee fans, I'm still enjoying the AL season. Plus my uncle is a Rays season ticket holder, my 92 year old grandmother watches all their games, so I"ve kinda adopted them as my AL team.
ReplyDeleteMets bullpen is a big mystery next year. Heilman wont be back. He'll win 14 games in some team's rotation. The rotation will have johan, pelfrey, hopefully maine and then big question marks. I have a feeling that Pedro will get a low risk incentive loaded contract.
I think if healthy the Rays will win 100 games. They will call up price and davis, trade jackson, sonanstine and niemann for a big slugger or 2, and hopefully have a healthy Rocco, crawford, longoria, and upton (BJ has been playing through injuries all year)
Very curious what happens with CC. My prediction is Dodgers (I think if all else is equal he'll stay in the NL cuz of his hitting and recent dominance)
I think the Rays can't pull a Marlins because their payroll is so low as it is.
ReplyDeleteIf Santana gets seriously injured, goodbye season.
Rocco doesn't understand the word healthy - not his fault, he has a disease that essentially gives him permanent mono.
Yaros
eli d'nabi I couldnt afree with you more about the first part about number 4. They will get to the ALCS and the world series because of the great Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy. Along with Joba next year they will make Maddux Smoltz and Glavine look like Generation K.
ReplyDeleteAs to number one how about Kazmir, Longoria and Upton for Ramirez, Bettimit and Brett Gardner. That would be a great trade for the Yankees!!!
Im predicting a ROckies type run by the Yankees after winning a game against the Angels. And remember you think the Red Sox are this good? Theyve won 2 WS the past 90 years!!! Not impressive. But for sure next year with the Big 3 and these Big 3 in the yankees uniform I smell number 28 coming in 2009!!!
The Rays are quite legit. They've got a lot of pieces in the right places for a long time.
ReplyDeleteThe Yankees will be back next year. They're not going away quickly. They will sign at least one of the following three free agents: CC Sabathia, Ben Sheets, and Mark Teixeira. (I personally think CC should be the priority.) I also believe they will make a run at signing A.J. Burnett.
That said, they're not going to simply ditch the youth project. Phil Hughes is not leaving this organization anytime soon, as he is a projected future ace. And unless the Yanks get a damn good offer, expect to see Ian Kennedy back as well. He's a first rounder with plenty of promise. Likelihood is he'll be a mid-rotation pitcher, but that's something the Yankees would love to hang on to. He's still young; don't write him off yet.
Andy Pettitte will retire this offseason. Mark my words.
And finally: K-Rod will not be back with the Angels. I expect the Mets to chase him, and no matter who signs him, they'll be overpaying for this highly fortunate season. But the Angels will turn to Jose Arredondo for saves next year.
Arredondo will have a big year next year if he's closing for the angels - I"m a big fan of his.
ReplyDelete