Billy Wagner was just told that he has a tear in a ligament below his left elbow. He is out at least a year which puts his next outing in the spring of 2010 at the earliest. He will have surgery soon and will try to rehab the injury and continue his career.
I expect Wagner to make a comeback in 2010, but the Mets need a closer in the interim and K-Rod will be available after this year. If the Mets decide to sign K-Rod, they would severely overpay because of K-Rod's luck this year. The Angels play so many close games that K-Rod has gotten a ridiculous number of saves. He will parlay that luck into a mega contract that he isn't worth. He is one of the best closers in the sport, but is certainly behind Mariano, Joe Nathan and Papelbon.
The Mets may have issues making the playoffs without Wagner, the role of Luis Ayala has increased dramatically and his success or failure will likely determine whether the Mets beat out the Phillies for the division.
Notes: Brandon Webb seems to have hit a wall and will blow the Cy Young if he loses 3 of his next 4 divisions. A 20-10 with a 3.70 era will not get it done against Lincecum.
Yaros
I'd actually rank Joakim Soria ahead of K-Rod. Doesn't have as many saves, but he is DAMN good.
ReplyDeleteI was looking at Soria. The only problem with him is that he hasn't done it for a long time. There are a lot of one time wonders!
ReplyDeleteYaros
Also, Soria has done it in KC. I think I'd agree that K-rod falls #4 after the 3 you mentioned. I think with Wagner out that the Mets will sign him. And I'm saying this 3 months in advance: BAD MOVE. He's going to get something like 5 years 75 mil and he's not that good. As you said, he's helped by ANgels playing close, low scoring game. His Ks are down, and he's an injury waiting to happen with his delivery. As for the Mets, obviously losing Wagner hurts, but honestly - i have ZERO faith in him getting a big save in October. Not that I have much faith in Ayala in a huge spot. I really hope Maine gets healthy soon - he can be a real key in the pen.
ReplyDelete