As the human eye has predicted the Cheating Chinese are getting closer to being caught red handed forging passports in the name of Olympic gold. The question of why an Olympic gymnast must be 16 during the year of the Olympics is not something I can explain (I am interested though if anyone has an idea), but a rule is a rule and if what the human eye can clearly see is proven in court then the USA will become all-around champions and Nastia Liukin will have a second gold medal that was already stolen from her once by the new scoring system (in the uneven bars).
Yaros
I dont think the Olympic Committe will conclude that officical documents of the home country are fraudulent. Ultimately, even if the Chinese althletes are as old as they look, the gov't will still be able to produce birth certificates and other documents that support the passport age.
ReplyDeleteI agree! It will be nearly impossible to catch because secretive Chinese government is without question willing to take extreme measures to win. Taking children out of their homes at 3 is far more extreme than forging documents. When a government is behind a scheme it is far more difficult to catch. I think that the only way to catch the cheaters is through old certificates that 3rd parties have from previous events. But it is very unlikely that the cheaters will formally be caught.
ReplyDeleteYaros
I can't say for certain, but I do have a few ideas as to why there is an age minimum of 16.
ReplyDeleteFor one, it could be similar to the NFL and NBA age/educational minimums. Those leagues have imposed a rule to prevent kids from exerting themselves too hard too early. While the Olympics do not span an entire grueling season, it is a grand stage, and participation is difficult. The mental and physical pressure may be too much for a child to handle. (Even if these "mature" Chinese kids can handle the pressure, a rule remains a rule.)
Second, the athletes in question take place in gymnastics, a sport in which smaller bodies have an advantage. Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin are rather diminutive (I believe Johnson is only 4' 9"). When performing acrobatics, a smaller frame is easier to manage, so a younger contestant will have an illegal advantage. In addition, the floor exercises take place on a mat with boundaries, and smaller athletes will have an easier time staying in bounds. For these specific reasons, younger and smaller athletes have an advantage, so an age minimum needs to be instituted to level the playing field.
I think Liukin is at least 5 feet but your second point is definitely well taken and probably accurate. The first point doesn't make complete sense because Michael Phelps did not meet an age 16 age requirement when he competed in Sidney.
ReplyDeleteYaros
Nastia Liukin is 5 feet 3 inches and 18 years old.
ReplyDeleteYaros