LIKE talkingNYsports on Facebook

Click on the link to LIKE our new page @ http://www.facebook.com/TalkingNYsports

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Put it in the the books" Yay- the Met pen actually does its job!

So the Mets win a game - congrats!

What I want to talk about is one of the worst pieces of announcing is the world's history that occur ed in the 8th inning. Ron Darling was announcing for SNY when a bases loaded pitch thrown to Damion Easley tailed above his head. The umpire originally called Easley hit by pitch and a run scored. Manny Acta challenged the call (I believe he was arguing that the ball actually hit Easley's bat) and the Umpires got together to discuss the call. During that discussion, Darling started whining about how dare the umpires gather together to discuss the call. He said that in his day an umpire would stand by his call. First, that is one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. I guarantee that if Ron Darling got taken out of the park and another umpire had a better view and called the ball foul - he would be glad to have the call changed. So Ron Darling's personal bias towards the Mets forced him to comment that the original call should stand and no meeting should take place. Mr. Darling, shut up and only comment about fastballs and curve balls, not umpire discussions!

Another note on that situation is that it took forever for SNY to find a replay of the hit by pitch. Speed it up in the production truck gentlemen. You are trying to keep up with the YES Network and you unfortunately have Ron Darling on your side. You need to make up for that. Best of luck!

Yaros

4 comments:

  1. I'd much rather listen to Ron Darling than the horrible crew of Michael Kay, John Flaherty, and Ken Singleton. Every YES announcer in their history is or was bad except for O'Neill and Kaat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Kay is also bias in his opinions when announcing on YES. It shows that YES forces him to have the bias when on his ESPN radio show he is much more honest and makes very good points about how the Yankees have absolutely sucked the past few weeks.

    Yaros

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was watching that game too. You're right about the delay on the replay - I'm with you, but strongly disagree about the Darling comments. Darling is an emmy award winning broadcaster who is excellent. His point was that how can an umpire at one of the bases have a better view than the home plate umpire!!!! That seems pretty logical to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The home plate ump had to duck out of the way just like Easley. That is why the second base umpire had a better view. Both got the call correct.

    Yaros

    ReplyDelete