I am not sure about this move. I know he needs to go to the bullpen to strengthen his arm because the minor leagues end on Sunday; however, I don't really know what the point of keeping him there all season is. I am convinced that even now (after Joba proved effective as a starter) that the entire Yankee brass is convinced he should not be the heir to Mo Rivera. This is an opportunity for that group to continue to push for Joba to remain there. A good bullpen is critical to a successful team, but an ace (or number 2 pitcher - that is just for anti-Yankee people, unless he is continuously injury plagued or has Joel Zumaya arm trouble from throwing so hard he will no doubt be an ace) is more important that a reliever, simply because they are rarer.
Joba's injury was on a fluke play where he needed to duck out of the way of a Pudge throw to second base. He landed on his shoulder and it stiffened up - take a look at the replay, it is very obvious. The Yankees are babying him (perhaps rightly so) and I don't think his injury is nearly as serious as the Yankees originally made it sound (and that is why Dr. Andrews essentially told him to give it a week and start throwing again).
Note: Josh Beckett's so-so year may be over as his next start (Saturday) was scratched again. Finger numbness is associated with irritation to the ulnar nerve in the elbow. He is flying down to Birmingham to see Dr. Andews - best of luck with that trip Joshua. It likely will not be fun. The context of his visit and Joba's is far different. The Yankees sent Joba as a precautionary measure, the Sox have been trying to rehab Beckett and nothing has been working effectively - I sense big trouble for the best playoff pitcher in baseball.
Yaros
Yanks need to sort out who's here to stay and whos not among, Joba, Kennedy, Hughes, and fill in the rest from the free agent mkt. I'd keep Joba nad Hughes as starters, altho their durability is suspect. hope wang returns and look for 2 other starters
ReplyDeletejoba should be starter. move Kennedy to pen. Trade hughes for solid OF.
ReplyDeleteI don't agree with you neal regarding Joba's durability, but I think Hughes is unquestionably weak. Joba had a fluke injury on a throw down to second base (I've said that 1,000 times).
ReplyDeleteYaros